Saturday, September 26, 2009

Is that your mommy?

We were at Abi Mulu's game today and during half-time I went over to where Abi was, which was under the shade, to make sure she had water, got loved up on, and to pour water on her since it was so hot outside. The little girl standing next to her looked us both up and down and asked Abi, "Is that your mommy?" I moved my sunglasses away from my eyes and looked at her and I told her, "Yes, I'm her mommy." She said, "But you're different colors." I replied, "Well, we're from different countries. I'm from America and she's from Ethiopia." "Oh, like adopted?" she said. I told her yes. I explained how we had seven boys and only one daughter and we wanted more daughters so we had to go to Ethiopia since I didn't seem to know how to make them anymore. Then she looked at me again and came back with, "Are you rich?" I said, "Well, I'm rich in children but no I'm not rich. If I was I'm not anymore."

The people around us were laughing because of her innocence and curiosity. They were listening to see what I said and even asked a few questions. It's okay to ask questions. I don't mind. If you're asking because you're truly interested then I'll make time to answer them. If you're asking because you're really making a statement with your question, then don't ask. I'll just brush you off like you're a fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment