Monday, June 22, 2009

The haircut

Did you see my new haircut in the pictures below? Like it? Hate it? I like it. Let me tell you how it came about because if you know me, I mean REALLY know me, then you know there is a story behind it. A funny one. My whole life is a funnny story so I'll fill you in on this episode.

My Ethiopian daughters love to slather lotion on me, comb or brush my hair, or any number of things that involve touch. So two Wednesdays ago Anna Mihret was combing one side of my head with a long, fine toothed comb and Abi Mulu was on the other side brushing. I was happily playing with my farm on Farm Town, which is on Facebook, and chatting online with my online friend and fellow Ethiopian adoptive parent Heidi. When Abi commented that Anna's comb was stuck. Several of the older kids came over to try and work it out. Problem was she had rolled the comb up my hair and possibly twisted it around a few times (I saw Adah Derartu do this to Addis's hair so now I know what happened.) After no success for the older kids I just sat at my computer with a big comb sticking out of my head wondering what I should do next.

Brittani, sister of Sarah's friend Hanna was willing to work on it, but that involved getting in the car and driving about twenty miles or so. I told Sarah I was NOT going to drive anywhere with a big comb sticking out of the back of my head. Even I have my limits.

Steve came home and he tried. My friend Judy stopped by and she tried and was successful with Steve's help. By the time the comb came out if was about an inch long. They had used a hacksaw, wire cutters and scissors trying to get it out and took about three hours to do all of this.

Now I was left with a HUGE knot, almost like a dreadlock and there was no way it would come untangled. No way. Uh uh. Not happening. We call Britt again, and she was now off work. She was willing to work on the knot but we had to go to her house. It was dark out so that was an acceptable option for me. As we drove by our church where our bookclub was going I waved my knot in the direction of the bookclub room and asked for prayer. Sarah and I laughed and giggled as we drove on.

Britt was such a sweetie. She laughed hysterically when she saw the knot and heard the story. Her dad Mike commented, "Are these the kind of people you tell us about at the shop?" She said, "Yes!" So she sat me down, diligently tried to untangle my knot and her face lit up when we told her she could cut it out. Oh the possiblities that held for her! Hair that hadn't been cut in about four years. She went to work and wahluh! My new do! Just an fyi, the girls aren't allowed to comb long hair anymore and if you see them coming at you with a comb, run.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story. You really should be a writer. You do have lots of material.

    ReplyDelete