Tuesday, September 7, 2010

School started today

We started our twenty-second year of home schooling today. I started off the day very differently than the others. I took Joe to school, he goes to a charter school that we absolutely love, and I went to exercise. I have loosened up since those beginning days so long ago.

We're using a mix of those big books you can buy from Walmart or any bookstore, Spectrum books, A Beka, Bob Jones, etc... I tend to do lesson planning as we go along.

I make up notebooks for each of the kids and add nine weeks worth of lesson planning pages. I add the dates and subjects and then cross off any holidays or Class Days. This helps me keep track of what we've done over the quarter. When it's time for grades I know what lessons we've covered on what day.

I also made up individual notebooks instead of one common book for information. It has a 100's counting chart, multiplication table, alphabet, or any other info they need. I put the papers in page protectors and they can add to the notebook throughout the year.

I'm positive that my two Ethiopian girls will take off in reading this year. Their English is good enough that they should be successful!

Now that our school day is done I'm planning our U.S. Presidents & States class for Class Day. We have eighteen days that we meet together. With help from my friend we decided to do the states the first half of the year and the Presidents the second half of the year. We're covering six states or five Presidents each time we meet. We'll play games, sing songs, do some crafts, and have fun learning about our United States.

Hope you all are having a great school year too!

No comments:

Post a Comment