Thursday, September 2, 2010

Summer is almost over

Looking back over our summer which in some ways seemed too long and in other ways not long enough, I thought I would share with you how we kept busy. We started summer off with our running shoes on and haven't slowed down since.

In June we had a going away party for Jesse before he left for boot camp. He left June 18th for Navy basic training aka boot camp. He excelled there and became a division leader over seventy-five-eighty guys. We were most proud of him when he marched his squad in at graduation. He did write me a letter and thanked us for raising him the way we did; for not allowing him to be lazy and non-productive.

Even though Jesse was gone his new bride continued to live us while he was away. The girls had a great time with Sage and she was greatly missed when she left in August to eventually join him in Florida. In that time my niece Kylie came to visit from Florida. She had a super fun time with Sage. Kylie is fifteen and hadn't been out here for a very long time. She and Sage became fast friends.

At the end of June we went camping at KQ Ranch with our friends the Hunt family. We had a great time just relaxing under the pine trees. The kids fished sometimes until midnight and were up bright and early to continue their quest the next morning. I lounged at the pool and hung out with the little girls. They keep me busy as you can imagine.

In July Joel and John went to Indian Hills Camp for the week. They had a wonderful time except for the boy who had a potty mouth. Joel tried to use one of the words, and well....I literally stopped where I was, didn't take another step, whirled around and let him know in no uncertain terms that we would NOT be using that word. It really helped when our friend Mr. Kit who was there to pick up his son explained to the boys how no one wants to hang out with kids who have a foul mouth and how it certainly doesn't glorify Christ or please Him.

The next week Joe went to Hume Lake with our youth group from church and had a fantastic time, purple tights, fake mustaches, and a sombrero. Good clean fun.

The last week of July we had VBS. I even dressed up as an Egyptian woman much to the amusement of my husband and older boys.

We hosted Chinese junior high students for two weeks. For four days I had six of them!! Three girls and three boys, but the pace slowed when the girls went with their host family who had been on vacation. That left us with our three boys who we really enjoyed. They cooked for us and were quite astonished to find that we put salt and pepper on our tomatoes. They marinate theirs in sugar!!!!

In August Steve and I went to Chicago for Jesse's graduation. I loved Chicago. I love their hot dogs. I love their green. We dipped our feet in Lake Michigan where I'm pretty sure I have placed them before, but about forty-five years ago when I lived in Michigan. I was privileged to drive, although unexpectedly, by Moody Church. We went to Wrigley Field and Steve got go into Soldier Field. We had a fantastic few days driving around with Jesse and Sage, except for the movie Jesse took us to that we all left. Some Scott Pilgrim movie-don't waste your money.

Some of the kids went to volleyball camp through our homeschool group. Addis has decided that she really doesn't like to play it though so she decided not to go out for the volleyball team. James would like to play but his team wouldn't play until the spring.

We've also had bay nights on Friday with good old bonfires and s'mores. Beach days once a week.

School is starting next week and with that comes Awana, soccer games, daily school, and Class days. So although one season is winding down another is ramping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment