Monday, January 10, 2011

Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning!

I recently decided to get a hold of my house by trying to get ahead of it instead of it getting ahead of me! So I came up with a system that seems to be working. Now some of you need to remember that I have many hands in my house and I am not doing all this work by myself. Many hands make the mess, but many hands also clean the mess. There is nothing wrong with making your children help with maintaining the cleanliness of your household.  Below is my schedule for this month. We'll tweak it at the end of the month once we've done everything once and see how it goes.

I took my calendar and decided to tackle one big chore a day. Here's how I've broken it down.

First Monday-Sort socks (you know the ones that end up without their mate)
First Tuesday-Clean baseboards and deep clean the little girls room.
First Wednesday-Clean doors & dust
First Thursday-Clean Walls & dust (if dusting didn't get done the day before)
First Friday-Vacuum Couch and go spider web hunting

Second Monday-Clean blinds & Window sills
Second Tuesday-Vacuum under and behind beds & Dust if needed
Second Wednesday-Organize Girls ethnic hair products, deep clean bathrooms & wash shower curtains
Second Thursday-We have classes so no cleaning
Second Friday-Mop (we have a floor that you cannot tell if it's dirty or not :-) )

Third Monday-Clean little girls room AGAIN/Clean fans and light fixtures
Third Tuesday-Clean inside & outside of kitchen cabinets, linen cabinets & bathroom cabinets
Third Wednesday-Clean fridges/freezer
Third Thursday-Clean laundry room, includes counter & washer/dryer
Third Friday-Maybe a seasonal chore

Fourth Monday-Clean & organize book cases
Fourth Tuesday-Put away and organize home school supplies/books
Fourth Wednesday-maybe clean windows
Fourth Thursday-Classes again
Fourth Friday-Mop

So far my house looks spic & span. Just cleaning the doors, walls & baseboards made a big difference. What I've been doing is assigning certain doors, walls, and such to each child. The job doesn't seem so insurmountable that way. Today when we cleaned blinds I had my ten year old clean the ones in the kitchen because they're a little lower than other ones in my house. One bedroom doesn't have any so I had one of the boys clean three blinds in my room. I still need to do the two by my tub, but that seems easy knowing all the others are done.

With home schooling, family, meals, and ministry it seems the house suffers. I'm hoping this helps us keep on top of the dirt. :-)

2 comments:

  1. http://www.ourfullhouse.com/home/1-blog/117-cleaning-schedules.html

    Vikki - I shared a link to your schedule on my page. I love the idea of not having to devote a whole day to cleaning...just a little each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basement is usually a place where there is excess dirt and damp and dust and unnecessary garbage.It needs to be cleaned and organised and looked into at some intervals.There could be mold breeding if you not attend the place for long.

    New York Mold inspections

    ReplyDelete