Thursday, April 25, 2013

Education With a Twist

I wrote in a previous post that I was looking into the Robinson Curriculum. I couldn't put my finger on what wasn't clicking for me. The books in the curriculum are written for the Caucasian homeschooler. Well, that would have worked for my eight bio kids who have ancestors from England, but why would these books be of interest for my girls from Africa? They have a history, they have a heritage, and it's not the one form England.

On the other hand, their heritage is not the one that African Americans have either.  My girls are African, Ethiopian to be more precise. I'm entering into an area I don't have experience in, but I'm willing to learn right along with them. I've always been interested in Harriet Tubman, Amos Fortune, Sojourner Truth, and others like them.

In my research I came across Blessed Heritage-Educational resources to foster understanding of the spiritual and racial heritage of children of color.

I've ordered:

 Nuturing Christian Character Through the Black Experience. http://www.blessedheritage.com/christcharacter.html

Our Story, His-Story
http://www.blessedheritage.com/elemhistory1.html

This Far by Faith
http://www.blessedheritage.com/midhistory1.html

I've also gone to paperbackswap.com and ordered a few books that I found in Great Books for Girls by Kathleen Odean.

I'm looking forward to walking this path with my girls. If anyone knows of a child's study of Ethiopian history I would LOVE to know about it.




1 comment:

  1. I really love sonlight. Similar classical education but a whole-world sort of perspective. We have 2 hispanic boys adopted into our white family. :-)

    ReplyDelete