Thursday, August 23, 2007

Our plane ride Aug 16-17-18

Some donations for the orphanage. We also took the filled and wrapped toilet paper tubes, See's suckers and candy bars.


Sarah on the way to Addis.


On the way to the airport we all went to La Pinata for dinner. Jared, Jake, Arianne, and Aaron (Sarah's friend) joined us. We had a great dinner and wonderful company. The waitress told us of a family that comes in that has fourteen children and will be featured on the tv show about large families.



We head to the airport and say our good-byes to everyone. Sarah and I head off to our boarding gate. We wait for awhile and finally our time to board the plane came. My ride to D.C. was a bit uncomfortable as I had a really large lady sitting next to me and she took half of my seat. (at least I didn't have a baby then!)



We switched planes in D.C. and boarded on Ethiopian Airlines. Our seats were perfect! We had an exit aisle so plenty of leg room. The airline was quite impressive and the staff were very courteous and polite. I think our plane ride was like sixteen hours. I'm not quite thinking clearly and don't want to take the time to figure it out. Addis is ten hours ahead of us here on the West coast. Our plane landed in Rome to refuel. Too bad we were so close to some great pasta and didn't even get to have any! It was dark so we didn't get to see Italy rom the plane either.



Our third leg of the trip was from Rome to Addis. We finally landed and our driver from CWA was there to greet us. Unfortunately one of pieces of luggage was lost. It was full of donations for the orphange and our electic converter/adapter. The converter/adapter was so we could use our electronic devices and adapt our plugs to their outlets. We got word that the luggage was found on Monday, but decided to wait to pick it up.



Immediately after we got off the plane we had to apply for visitor's visas and exchange some American dollars to birr. I ran into trouble because my dollars were from the 1996 series and they wouldn't take them. I found some newer bills and exchanged about $140.

No comments:

Post a Comment