Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Year in the Life - Week One - Day 1 and 2

Today I was thinking about faithfully blogging every day for a whole year. I know I'll miss days here and there. So much happens in my family that I thought someday the kids might like to look back and see what we did.

I'll start with this last week.

A friend of ours plays in a Lynryd Skynrd cover band called Skynrds Innyrds. He is a guitar player in the band and we had never heard him play so we thought we would go to the show. They were fantastic! We (mom and dad) love rock music, and they did a really good job and sounded just like Lynyrd Skynryd. https://www.facebook.com/SkynyrdsInnyrds

Sunday we went to church and watched the last DVD session in our Sunday school class. We've been going through the series The Art of Marriage. It's a six session series and covers the topics listed below.
  1. Love Happens: God’s Purpose and Plan
  2. Love Fades: Overcoming Isolation
  3. Love Dances: Fulfilling Our Responsibilities
  4. Love Interrupted: Communication and Conflict
  5. Love Sizzles: Experiencing Real Intimacy
  6. Love Always: Leaving a Lasting Legacy

We both come from families of divorce. Both sets of parents are divorced. My dad divorced his first wife and married my mother, and then he remarried twice after my mother My paternal grandparents were divorced. We have had to make a conscious decision to do things differently than the way we were raised. We needed to break the cycle. It's not always easy, but we made a vow until death do us part. We renewed our vows in 2011 after our thirty year anniversary. All our children were here so we asked our pastor if he was available and we renewed our vows in our front yard.





After our vow renewal we had a friend who is a photographer take some family pictures. It's not often we're all in the same place. Since that picture above we've added one daughter and four grandchildren to the mix. We now have thirteen children ages 31-7, and our oldest grandchild is four.

So you can see why I'm going to make a little daily diary. I would never remember all of this, but if I write it down now, the kids will thank me later. I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment