Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Words We Say

I had read this in the Daily Bread for Jan. 5. 'That speaks clearly to us of the importance of what we say to others. It also backs up one of my favorite lines by poet Emily Dickinson: "A word is dead when it is said, some say. I say it just begins to live that day."

The words we say may have long-term consequences. Our comments, our compliments, and even our harsh criticisms may stick with the hearer for decades.

No wonder Scripture says, "He who restrains his lips is wise" (Prov. 10:19). The words we speak live on. Let's make sure they come from "the tongue of the righteous: (v20)-Dave Brannon'
-------------------------------

So last week at Class Day I needed to use the restroom and as I was walking back one of the ladies I've known from Above Rubies and Class Day came up to me and thanked me. She said, "I just wanted to thank you. Many years ago I had miscarried, I had cut off my hair, and I came to Class Day. You were the only one who asked me if everything was okay, and I told you what happened. Everyone else was telling me it was okay. You were the only one who told me it wasn't okay. It wasn't okay that I lost this baby. It wasn't until you told me that, that I gave myself permission to cry and grieve for the baby I lost."

WOW.............

I don't even remember that incident. I remember her being there and finding out that she would never have children again. I remember her devastation. I remember that she only had two children and desperately wanted more children only to be told that it wouldn't happen from her own body. I don't remember what I said to her only that I knew I couldn't help her other than just be a sounding board. Apparently God used me to speak what she needed to hear.

Many years ago I miscarried. I've miscarried six times, but the one of the two that hit the hardest was between Sarah and Joe. I had heard and seen the heartbeat. The baby was about 12 weeks and just poof, gone. My friend Helen used to tell me that never was a mother so vulnerable as when she was pregnant because there was no guarantee of a baby at the end. While I was in the hospital having a D&C or whatever I did, I honestly don't remember, I was crying and grieving. The nurses didn't understand since I already had four children at home. I remember telling them, "I'm losing THIS baby! I will never have THIS baby again!" To shut me up they medicated me and sent me to la-la land. It turns out I hemorraged six weeks later and almost died because the dr. did such a bad job, but that is really irrelevant to this post.

Back to our words. Use your words to lift up, give advice, encourage, compliment. But USE YOUR WORDS!!!! Be there for other people. You have to be among people to be there. Don't isolate yourself and no being on the computer doesn't count. You have to be among the people. Give hugs and a smile. You never know what you can do for someone and you never know what blessing God has in store for you from someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment