Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ethiopia Report

Jesse and his classmates had to do a report on Ethiopia in their Cultural Anthropology class. He asked me to bring the girls in their Ethiopian dresses and show them off to the class. They really didn't want to speak any Amharic, you know how kids get in front of people they don't know, so they looked down at the ground and wouldn't say much. The other classmates had to report on different aspects of Ethiopia. I wanted to stand up so bad and just talk about the country. Give them a desire to seek out the country and the people. I kept quiet as much as I could though. Jesse bought Yesega Wot and split pea alicha with injera for the class to sample. He also brought some of our souvenirs, photos, books, and such that we have collected in the last year and a half. We sang Bizu in Amharic in front of the class. Think Caucasian non-Amharic speaking mother singing a song that she "thinks" she knows what the words are, and four girls who really are too embarrassed to be up there, but want to be up there. The class clapped to help us along. The things I do for my kids.........

No comments:

Post a Comment