Tuesday, May 29, 2007

This & That

Life has been busy since we went to the beach last weekend! Go figure!!!



Thursday day was relatively calm, as calm as it can be with seven-eight people in one house. Thursday evening was when the fun started!!



Steve brought home two hams for me to cook. I had a funeral to go to on Friday and I was requested to cook two hams and slice them for sandwiches. I took Joe to violin and ran to the grocery store while he was practicing. Came home and cut up the hams, bagged up the ham bones for red beans & rice (which we'll have this week-YUM!) We put the kids to bed and watched our taped episode of Lost and figured out that we had "lost" fifteen minutes of the show. Our oldest son at home had shut off the recorder and it was fifteen minutes later that we figured it out. We're not sure what we missed, but you know with Lost it was probably an integral part of the show.



Friday I went to the funeral and helped in the kitchen getting the bereavement reception ready. Our pastor's wife is so incredible. She has the reception system down to a science. I usually wouldn't work in the kitchen because I've had young children for so many years it just wasn't practical to leave them and go minister in another area. I firmly believe in keeping my children with me in whatever ministry I serve in.



Anyways, the funeral was for Jesse's girlfriend's uncle who was in his late thirty's. I was able to slip in to the service just at the end and our church was packed!!! What a testimony to what this man was! He had people who loved him and cared for him. It was an unexpected death and I personally didn't know him, but I know his family and I know he must have been an incredible guy.



Here's a picture of me all dressed up. It doesn't happen often so I told my boys to take a picture for evidence that I did at times dress up!




Saturday I mowed our four acres, (no, I didn't use a push mower, I'm forty-six for goodness sake, I rode a lawn tractor) plus I went over and mowed a field for our elderly neighbor. I had so much dirt in my eyes, I couldn't see. I swore to my husband that I was going to put swimming goggles on and mow. You see I'm already a sight out there while mowing, I wear duck hunting boots from LL Bean, usually a skirt or a pair of workout pants, my hat, sunglasses, sometimes gloves (red of course) so a pair of swimming goggles would just put me in the "way out there" category. I'm almost there, but that would definately put me over the top.



Sunday we went to church like usual. I teach the third-fifth graders. We learned about Jesus: The Great High Priest. Our curriculum teaches doctrine instead of stories. It gets a little tough sometimes, but the kids are amazing, the questions they have are great. I bribe them, I mean reward them each week if they bring home their SS homework filled out, if they memorize their verse they can have another prize. I let my ten year old son help me pick out prizes since he's in the class and he knows what they like.



We then had a VBS meeting. My husband is the Children's Ministry Director at our church and VBS falls in his directorship. I volunteered to take care of crafts. I'm going to try and get my daughter to help me. The jr. high kids and high school kids all help with the younger kids so I'm trying to "claim" Sarah now.



Then we were supposed to go for a bi-plane ride over the ocean at sunset. When we got home the plane company called and canceled our flight because the marine layer was coming in thick, heavy and fast. We now have six months to take a flight, it was supposed to expire in two weeks. I bought it for my husband's Christmas present. We still get to use his other present, which was a kayak ride at the La Jolla beach & caves area.



We ended up going to Black Angus and Target instead. I was able to buy all those cards that I needed for graduations and birthdays. It was a very productive trip!!! We came home and watched a Tyler Perry DVD. I love Tyler Perry and his Madea character. I tell you I am her in caucasian skin.



Yesterday we went to the cemetary to visit my Uncle Ronnie's grave. He died in the Vietnam war in 1969 at the age of twenty-two. He is buried between his parents. The children all placed the flowers in the vases and American flags around the headstone. We said a prayer for my brother who is in Iraq and for all the other service men and women. I told my children that when I die they need to carry on the tradition of coming to his gravestone. Someone has to remember. We can't let our children forget their heritage. The heritage of their uncle giving his blood for his friend's and country.

We found ourselves at Casa De Pico afterwards for a yummy Mexican lunch. Came home for a while and tried to figure out my iPod. UGH! I can't figure out how to get music or sermons onto it. I need my daughter who wasn't here. We went to Sarah's indoor soccer game and then came home and watched the Waltons and ate popcorn. What could be more glorious?!

Today Sarah gets a root canal for that tooth she hurt back in March. Go to my old blog at www.homeschoolblogger.com/blessedwoman and scroll down to March 17 to see her tooth. It's now gray and abcessing. Poor girlie!

Well I need to go and educate my children. See ya~

No comments:

Post a Comment