Thursday, October 7, 2010

Last Night's Awana

This year I'm the Awana secretary. I like to get to church/club early and get a grasp on things before other people get there. Two of the kids have soccer practice so after I drop them off I head to church to set up and open the doors and turn on lights.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting with one of my Cubbies from over twenty years ago when she brought me a pizza oven to sell towards our adoption fees. Our church has a photo album that I started way back then, it must have been 1986, because Jared was in there and he would have been three in 1986. She was in the photo album as well as our current Sparky Director. The kids are cute as can be, but now they're grown with families of their own. I can't even fathom that over twenty years has passed. Unbelievable! Where does the time go?

On a different note: James and Joel received Clubbers of the Month. Joel received it for the Truth and Training Club (the old Pals/Pioneers) and James received it for Trek (jr. high). Both of these boys spend hours going over their verses and studying their Bible. A certain someone who didn't receive it is up and studying his verse/Bible this a.m. in hopes to earn it next month.

That certain someone could have stayed in T & T or gone up to Trek. I chose to push him up to Trek so that instead of being a leader he was a follower. Different thinking but in this case it is needed. He has his older brother and kids that put time and effort into their study of God's Word. In T & T he was the top dog and wasn't pushed at all. Now he has higher goals and he's not the leader of the pack in the younger club, thus freeing the younger kids to rise to a higher goal than he was giving. It's a win-win in this situation.

It's a little harder for Addis & Mulu because of the language barrier and the length of the verses. They're getting it though!

Here's to Awana!

No comments:

Post a Comment