Sunday, October 24, 2010

Weekly Adoption Update

Hi all,

So this last week found me at the computer and the doctor's office. I've been working on our homestudy and our dossier at the same time. Our homestudy will be included in the dossier, but there are some papers that coexist together.

I worked on mine and Steve's autobiography. We had to type up a 2-4 page autobiography on each of us. I found our dossiers from the last adoption and used the homestudy write-up on us as a template. I tweaked things to fit our current situation and then forwarded it to our social worker and he confirmed that it was what he needed so that is done.

I had also been in contact with our doctor at Kaiser. We needed a doctor's letter because some of the questions on our physical were answered, "Yes." Our doctor didn't want to take the time to write a letter since he hadn't been our doctor that long. We're in the Kaiser system so the informationis right there, but it was too much for him. I asked our family coordinator what I should do and she came up with a great suggestion. She suggested I write the letter, take it or send it to him and then he put it on Kaiser letterhead and sign it. On Tuesday I typed it up and on Wednesday when Adah had her doctor's appt. I took it to his nurse. They called that night and left a message. I called back on Thursday and it was ready! Yeah!! I then scanned it and sent it to our family coordinator for her to review.

Wednesday found us at the dr's for Adah, Thursday for James, and Friday again for Adah to have her TB test read. We go back again tomorrow for James to have his TB test read, and again this Thursday to have John's physical done. After Monday when his TB test is read we'll be done with the physicals for everyone. Yeah! The kids really love getting poked with a needle for a skin test. :-) Not.

We also got word that our fundraiser is up for Adoption Bug. If you go to www.adoptionbug.com/grieshaberfamily you will have the opportunity to purchase a t-shirt with some of the proceeds going towards our adoption fees.

I passed out fundraiser flyers today at church for tomorrow's ETSY fundraiser at www.etsy.com/shop/sarahstreasurebox Some of the people didn't know we were adopting again and were quite surprised when I told them. I received some coffee from www.justlovecoffee.com/grieshaberfamily that my hair dresser and a fellow homeschooling mom purchased. I ordered three extra Ethiopian Harrar if anyone is interested. They are $13.95 plus $2.25 shipping for a whopping total of $16.20 a bag. They're whole bean waiting to be ground and savored by a coffee lover. Is it you?!

One of the questions I received today while passing out our flyers: "Why don't you adopt from here and do it for free like my son did?"

Answer: In 2005 we applied to our local foster system to care for one baby/toddler. I did the fingerprinting, changed bedrooms and basically my whole house it seemed to jump through the hoops that the system wanted me to jump through. There was one thing we weren't willing to do and that was the one reason we weren't allowed to foster care. We have a run-off creek on our property. Folks, we live in Southern California in a little town east of San Diego. Now seriously, how often does it rain here in San Diego to where we would actually have run-off in this creek? Well, they wanted us to place a 6ft fence the entire length of our 4 acre property. We weren't willing to. They looked at us as a water hazard and said no. Seriously?!! There is more danger in our three toilets and two bathtubs then there is that creek that is dry 98% of the time.

Now I did find out I had thyroid cancer through that whole process which was a good thing in the end. I went to the doctor because I had to have a paper signed by the doctor. He found a lump and the rest is history.

The odd thing about the foster situation was that after they turned us down to take care of one little one on a full time basis, they wanted me to do respite care for drug babies. Ummm no. I educate my kids at home and need a normal schedule that isn't thrown off by random people coming and going and dropping off their foster babies who would need extra-special attention because they're drug babies. To me that was crazy. Either my house was safe or it wasn't. The last eight kids had done okay at our house wouldn't you say? Thank goodness the system isn't in charge of all adoptions. I know there would be more families without children if it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment