Thursday, August 30, 2007

I found it!!! Peanut Butter Chews

For years I have wondered about a cookie bar I used to have in grade school. I've never had it since and just figured it was one of those things I would never get to enjoy again.

Well!!!!! Lo and behold the recipe was in our local paper yesterday. They had a back-to-school feature and this was it. The recipe was distributed by our local school district. I was so excited that I had finally found it.

Today I made it and they are so good. Steve tried to joke with me and said, "Oh, I don't think you'll like these. You shouldn't even try one." Good try, but no cigar. They were wonderful!!!

Here is the recipe:

Peanut Butter Chews

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats

Glaze:
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons peanut butter
4 1/2 teaspoons very hot water

Combine butter, sugars, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Mix, creaming well.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add rolled oats and mix well. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix until well blended.

Spread the batter into a greased 12-by-18 inch cookie pan with sides. Bake at 350* for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overbake.

For the glaze: Combine powdered sugar and peanut butter. Gradually add hot water. Spred glaze on warm Peanut Butter Chews. Cut while warm. Cookies will have a chewy consistency.

Makes 32 bars.

(From the San Diego Unified School District Food Services Dept.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh those don't look like what I remember from school after all, but those do still look soooo yummy! I think I will have to try and adapt them. Shouldn't be too hard, I don't think. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I grew up in San Diego and enjoyed these treats all through Jr and Sr High School. They were my FAVORITE! I never thought I'd find the recipe. I am soooooooo excited - cannot WAIT to make these tomorrow! Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete