Sunday, August 12, 2007

Information about Sebeta, Ethiopia-Adah Derartu's birthplace

Adah Derartu is from Sebeta, Ethiopia. We found this out when her birth certificate came.



This is the beginning of the article linked below: The town of Sebeta is located within Ethiopia’s Oromia region, approximately 24 kilometers southwest of the country’s capital, Addis Ababa. (See Map). Of the approximately 13,400 residents in Sebeta, the demographic age is quite young, with almost half of the population in Ethiopia under the age of 15. Sebeta is also home to a few hundred orphans, cared for and housed at various schools. The majority of these orphans come from families that are simply too poor to care for them, are significantly disabled from crippling diseases, or have passed away from infectious diseases, predominantly AIDS and malaria.


http://www.fimrc.org/projects_sebeta.php

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this info. Our Ethiopian son is also from Sebeta and I was happy to come across some info on his home town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog today while googling Sebeta - my daughter (waiting for our court date) is from here. Thanks for posting this information. Blessings to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw your post as well. Our daughter is from Sebeta. We came home from Ethiopia with her in Nov 2008. Thanks for this info!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be in Ethiopia for one month in May, in Sebeta. I would like to volunteer at an orphanage. If you have any information, please help me make a connection. I know there is a place for me there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My email is olyvialindgren@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete