Saturday, November 10, 2007

Reading, Reading, Reading

I started The Color of Water by James McBride last week. I love this book! Jesse gave it to Sarah to read and I stole it from her. :-) I mentioned I was reading it to Adah's physical therapy teacher and she asked if I had read The Freedom Writer's Diary. No, I had never heard of it. So yesterday when Steve and I went to an early dinner like we usually do on Friday afternoon we went to Barnes & Nobles afterwards. I asked the guy where the "Interracial" department was. He gave me a blank stare. Okay, I tried again....where is the "Transracial" department? Another blank stare. Now I'm thinking I've grown a third head by the look he was giving me. He mutters that he'll help me in a minute, and it just so happens he was helping my daughter-in-law who I ran into in there. I meander around trying to find what I'm looking for, but no luck, so I head back to the info. booth. A lady is now behind the counter and I ask her if they have the book, "Black crib, White Hands," she looks it up and that isn't the title, but they do have Black Baby, White Hands: A View From the Crib." She tells me they don't have it, but can order it so I had her order it. I then ask her if you had it where would I find it. She politely explained that it would be in the African-American department. Aaahhh!!!.................I explain to her that I've just adopted two black babies from Ethiopia and I'm still learning about all of this. I make her laugh which I tend to do with people and she walks me over and shows me where it is. It was right next to the Cultural Studies and I found the original book I went in for: The Freedom Writers Diary by The Freedom Writers with Erin Gruwell. I also found Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs and Don't Make A Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings by Tyler Perry. (The book by Tyler Perry has offensive language so be warned!)

It's always good to widen our horizons by reading a good book. Now I just need to find the time to curl up with my new quilt and a hot cup of tea to do so!

1 comment:

  1. LOL!! I have enjoyed Tyler Perry's movies. Sounds like you have some good reading material!

    ReplyDelete