Monday, October 15, 2012

To homeschool or not to homeschool?

That is the question.

My girls go to a small school two miles from our house. It's ideal as far as the location and the smallness of the school. However, my oldest girl is different enough that she is not wanted at the lunch table with the other girls her age. Hmmmm...they talk to her as individuals but not as a group.

These same girls come up to her and want to know why she has her hair up in a ponytail and not down like them. She explains to each of them that her hair is different and she prefers to keep it up. They then proceed to try and touch her hair and she tells them 'NO' and they do it anyways.

Then comes in girl number two who was in tears today at lunch because her friend a girl was calling her a "B" and spreading a rumor that she liked a boy and then other kids were telling other kids. This is a girl who is eleven or twelve in her body, but four or five in her concept of such things. She doesn't understand such things. In Ethiopia if they treated each other this way the offender would get whipped and made to apologize.

My youngest two have been wanting to come home since school started, but I really like their teacher and frankly, wanted the break this year to get my house and head back in order. I've home educated twenty-four years and I thought a break would be great to help me get things in place. They don't have issues with the learning and educational part of school, they have issues with the social aspect. Boys throw pencils at them, push them, etc...they're really just being boys, but they're girls and they don't like it.

So I ponder and pray. They'll go to school tomorrow, and I really hope everything blows over and their life is wonderful and full of roses, but for some reason I don't think that will happen.

Tonight I will peek through the Sonlight catalog and see if it will work for us. I believe God is telling me to bring them home and use Sonlight. Why Sonlight? I have no idea. I'm a true blue A Beka gal, but maybe my girls need Sonlight and the closeness it requires of us as a family.  Meskerem is settled into our family enough that I could educate her. My Bell's Palsy is getting better, enough that I could teach them without the sounding out of words becoming a problem.

And by the way my boys got an A+ and an A on the cell project they did. Good job, guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment