Friday, September 21, 2007

Our Adoption Baby Shower

Monday night our church gave us a baby shower for the girls. My friend Debbie worked hard to get just the right "feel." Boy, did she go out of her way! She made "American" injera. She researched and found a recipe using buckwheat pancake mix and biscuit mix that worked well enough to get the consistency of injera. She then had some of the meats, cheeses and other items that would normally go on it. The taste was blander than traditional injera, but actually I think I could eat more of it because of that. Injera normally has a sourdoughy taste which gets to me after a few bites.

Here is what she made Sarah and Debbie
This is how you would normally serve injera.

I dressed the girls in their traditional dresses.


Adah had newspaper on her head. Silly girl! Sarah
Hanna (Sarah's best friend) and Anna Mihret

Friends and family: I was overwhelmed by the love and support shown by everyone. I think we had about sixty people there. I was taking the pics so I didn't get as many as I would have liked.


Grandma
Sarah and Lilly: Lilly helped me open gifts :)
Sharon and Allison
Present time! This is what their closet looks like now. It was empty! All of those are matching outfits for the girls.
My niece Kathy made this. All the pages are done. All we have to do is put pictures on. Can you imagine the work she went to?

Another niece Marisa had these made. Aren't they adorable? I set out books on adoption and Ethiopia, souvenirs and toys from Ethiopia or dealing with the Amharic language. The beanbags can be found at http://www.amharickids.com/ The books I bought from Ethiopia Reads, I think.
Thank you everyone for all your love and support. Rachel, thank you for steering us to think about international adoption in the beginning. Ken, thank you for challenging me with eternal things instead of material things. Shad, thanks for having us ponder if Sarah should go. (she did) We couldn't have done it without all or any of you!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it was a wonderful time. What a blessing to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete