Friday, May 30, 2008

Update for the week

Sorry I haven't been posting as regular as I usually do. I've been so busy and then when I do sit down to write it seems so boring.

I forgot to post that last weekend Joe played in a soccer tournament. His last game was played at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista. It gave us a reason to frantically get someplace after church with seven hungry children. We got there just before half-time. It took longer to drive there and back then it did to watch. Oh well.

Tuesday we had piano. I took some tops back to Sears that I had bought before going to Ethiopia. I didn't realize that they were only $10 each. I thought I had gold or something in my bag. Twenty bucks is twenty bucks though, and it came in handy when we went to In & Out Burger the next day.

Wednesday Addis, Mulu and Joel all had dental appts. I took the girls and Jesse took Joel. We use two different dentists and their appts. were the same time. Joel's adult tooth is growing in and pushing his baby teeth which caused the filling to fall out and a cavity was found: that was why his tooth was hurting. They fixed it and warned us that it could fall out again. At least this time we know to look for it.

Addis and Mulu's dentist said it was the first time he had an emotional reaction from them. Between the sounds of the equipment and the work they were doing he could tell by a tear here and there and their body expressions that they weren't handling it well.

The good news is that Mulu is done, but Addis needs one more treatment. His panoramic x-ray shows Abi Mulu to be about six and Addis he aged at ten. Yikes!!! Her bone scan shows 8.10 years and her teeth 9-11. I think we'll go with nine, but here birth certificate shows a February 2008 birthday. Not sure if we're changing it or not.

After all that we went to In & Out for burgers. The girls don't especially like meat it seems, but they eat what we eat, so burgers it was. Their mouths were a little sore so I showed them how to eat little bites.

Speaking of bites I've been teaching them to eat with their mouths closed. One of my major pet peeves is when you can see what a person is eating. No thank you! They make sure and show me when they remember on their own that they are eating with their mouths closed. :-)

Wednesday night was our Awana awards night. Joel received two book awards as well as two book review patches. He technically has verses to say to finish book one so we'll work on it over the summer. Because he was in first grade he had to go on to the first grade book instead of reviewing the first book. John, Addis & Abi received participation ribbons and James received a first book award for T & T. One of my leaders bought me a cute picture that says, "Choose you this day Whom you will serve. But as for me and my house We will serve The Lord. It is so stinkin' cute. I just love it!!!

Yesterday was a normal at home day. I made chicken and rice for dinner with corn on the cob. We had a cake mix/cherry pie filling dessert. That was pretty yummy! Jared & Miranda came over for a while. They both had the afternoon off which was nice for them. They're such a cute couple. :-)

Oh my goodness! Did you watch Lost? Freaky ending!!! Could we have expected anything less from Sawyer? Jumping out of a helicopter after giving Kate a great big smooch. WOW! Poor Sun! Jin was so close yet so far away.........

Joel has really taken off on his reading this week. He curled up in bed with his A Beka reader last night. Oh My Lanta!! I've never had a boy do that!!! He is also such a good piano player that Jared couldn't believe it when he heard him yesterday. He's a lot like Jesse. A little brainiac.

I'm taking back over as the California blogger for The Old Schoolhouse Magazines Home School Nations. I stopped doing it in Feb, but noticed that it's not getting updated so I offered to take it back over. It was met with a hearty, "Yes!" Now, we're just trying to figure out the userid so I can login.

My doctor called earlier this week to tell me I have a 3.2 x 3.3 cyst on my right ovary. I have to go back in eight weeks for another sono to see if it has shrunk, stayed the same or grown. Please pray that it goes away, please!

This week has had me on edge a little. The noise level in the house has really been grating on my nerves. The constant playing of the piano, the voices that rise louder and louder to be heard, screams of little girls because they're not getting their way or someone is bothering them. Sometimes it's a little much. Thank God for 7pm/8pm bedtimes!! Steve and I then retreat into our kid-free room and nearly collapse from exhaustion. We can do this job God has given us though. We just have to rely on Him. Always.

2 comments:

  1. Vikki, your blogs are never boring, I look forward to hearing about all you daily activities. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh about the "noise level." With 5 kids under 12 (#6 is due in three weeks) there are times I just say, "I am setting the timer. In ten minutes if you are completely silent, we will [fill in the blank with something fun or a special treat]. If not, everyone gets an extra chore." I can imagine your noise is much noisier than mine! Sometimes I just need "a little piece of quiet" as my son says. :o)

    ReplyDelete