Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What's happening in this neck of the woods?

Since last week I've been busy as usual! Wednesday night was Awana so Sarah and I had fun with the 3 & 4 year olds. When I finally feel like we're meshing as a team our club will end in May and we'll have to start a whole new group in September. John won Clubber of the Month for the 3-6 grade boys.

Thursday found me at Kaiser for female issues. I'm still anemic, but the good news is that my count has come up from 7.4 this summer to 9.7 now. Now I'm on iron 3 x a day until my count comes up to 12. I escaped a D&C for the immediate by deciding to take Provera for the long run. I'm taking it 3 x a day for two weeks and then hopefully I'll go to an osteopath who can help me. I don't want to be in Ethiopia next month and have these issues. Can't risk it. Hopefully
this will help.

While I was at Kaiser I was minding my own business. Really. I was. Steve says I talk and smile at people and that's why I get drawn into conversations. This time I had my nose in a book, Do They Hear You When You Cry? about female circumcision mutilation, and two ladies were speaking to me. They even had to tell me they were talking to me. They liked my skirt. I thanked them, but when I looked up the nurse wanted to know why she knew me. I said, "I don't know. Maybe since I have eight biological children you've seen me in here over the years." Then it started. "You have eight children, plus you've adopted two?" Minutes later they both come out and take a seat and interview me. "How does your family eat?" she asks. I reply, "Around the table." The other nurse loved it. She asked questions that seemed kind of basic, like why is she asking this? I guess not every family sits down to meals together or really do much together at all. Finally they had to go and resume work. But me? I was good. I didn't start the conversation. They did.

Friday found us without power for seven or so hours. It was a planned outage. We did our school work early and finished just about when the electricity went out. We headed down to church to assess the situation in the preschool room at church. I'm the new Early Childhood Director and am fixing little things here and there in a room that has been neglected because no one has been in charge. By taking the position I'm helping my husband because he is the Children's Ministry Director.

Saturday Joe had his All Star Tournament and lost both games that day. We went to Spaghetti Factory that night with his team. I miss Spaghetti Factory and it's Mizithra Cheese. It's for toothsome cheese lovers ya know. The four boys spent the night at their cousin's house who happens to be in their thirty's. Their second cousins are actually the ones close to their age.

Sunday Joe had an 8am game, and this was about thirty or so miles away, so I head out early. I left the girls with Steve and he had them in the church nursery while he taught. I picked them up and we were all able to go into the worship service together. Joe lost that game too, so they're done!!!

Monday I moved two bedrooms around. I took a set of bunks down and put them up in Jesse's room. We couldn't get the bunks through the door so we took the doors off, then we sawed, yes, sawed the little balls off the ends of the bunks. They still wouldn't fit through, so we were just going to saw the legs off the darn things when Steve decided he better step in. He got it all put back together downstairs for us.

Today we did school, made taco meat, Adah had her last therapy appt, Joel had a dental appt. and Anna goes to the opthamologist for her lazy eyelid. We're hoping he can help us or refer us to someone who can help with her molluscum that is on her face. (You may or may not have noticed the bumps, it's a skin virus that wasn't there when we picked her up.)

So Tacos for dinner, laundry is still going, I have a headache: I'm told it's because I'm anemic, life goes on as usual.

Oh and one more thing! Our court date is in one week!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Some months back I found your blog when I googled The Mother's Companion and told you I remembered reading about you in Helen's newsletter. Anyway, I thought of your family this week as we've been praying about the homeschooling issues there in CA. I thought I'd look you up again. So excited to hear you're adopting again. My husband's extended family includes four adopted sisters, one adopted brother, five adopted cousins and four adopted nieces, so we're big fans of adoption. However, all these relatives who have adopted only have a few biological children of their own. We're expecting number 6. Our kids are already kind of crowded in their rooms, and we have been remodeling our dear little cottage here in the country for almost three years and we're still a long way off. (Did I mention we have one bathroom!?) My question is---unless you're millionaires and have a huge house---how on earth do you pull it off? My in-laws' adoptions of two girls from India almost caused them to lose their house, which they had built a few years prior. They ended up selling it, and my MIL had to go to work full time. These are not options for our family. I have too many precious little ones to even think of leaving the home, not to mention homeschooling the older ones. I hope you can take a bit of time (which I'm sure you don't have much of) and share what God has enabled you to do.
    God bless you,
    Kristyn Hall
    kristynhall@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS on the court date! You must be so excited!

    Try some blackstrap molasses for iron rather than all the iron tablets. It's loaded with iron in a highly digestible form and won't cause constipation like iron tablets can. I had a hematocrit of 2.9 this past April and it was a long road to get those numbers up, let me tell you! Lots of spinach and steak too!

    There is also a product called Floradix which is all herbal and will get those numbers up very quickly. This product is probably why my blood levels rose so quickly the first few days I took it. But it was expensive, so the molasses was what I continued with.

    Just some suggestions!

    ReplyDelete