Sunday, June 24, 2007

Shooting, Fishing, Friends & Pizza

Yesterday we went to the Ducks Unlimited Greenwing Annual picnic. We went last year for the first time and had such a great time; we went again this year. The two youngest boys were taught how to cast their fishing poles, shoot pellet guns, listened to stories and songs about ducks, and visited a mama duck and her babies.

The other two boys, James and Joe, were in a different group. They practiced skeet shooting and target shooting with a .22. James only did the .22 shooting as the other guns were too loud for him. He has Autism Spectrum Disorder and hears things much louder than I do. He was pale white and clammy when I went to check on him so I took him away from the group, let him listen to my iPod with me, got him some cold water and he recovered quickly.

They fed us a bbq lunch of hamburgers & hot dogs and then went onto the raffle and prizes. Steve participated in a silent auction and won a duck picture that is now hanging above our fireplace. The boys each received prizes, as all the kids did. For the second year in a row John was the last number picked. I told him he was learning patience and hope. Patience at not having his number called and hope that it would soon be called. For his diligence he picked a pocketknife, a baseball glove, and a slingshot. Joel picked some Nerf type balls, a slingshot and a bicycle helmet. Joe came away with a gun, and I'm not sure about James. He was quite happy with what he got, but I don't remember what it was.

After the prize give-aways were over we headed to the fishing pond with three other families. We had a great time and for the second year in a row I baited hooks with LIVE mealworms and took a few fish off the hook for my boys. After we had our fill of fishing and filling the fishing bucket for Kevin we decided we were all absolutely starving and headed over to Marechiaro's Italian Restaurant for dinner. We picked up another family and Jared, Miranda and Jake on the way by cell phone communication. By the time everyone showed up we had about twenty-four to twenty-five people. It was so much fun! We had about six pizzas and dinner salads for the adults.

I then came home and had a hot cup of tea with a Weight Watcher chocolate caramel bar. I'll have to post pics another time as my camera is not working because the battery went dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment