Saturday, February 9, 2008

Weaning from the bottle!

Yesterday I was dog tired. I've been dog-tired quite a bit lately. Part of it comes with my age, I'm forty-seven and I believe in pre-menopause (I think I had my first hot flash last night-Sigh). I often have insomnia once I'm awakened. Steve has been very gracious in getting up with the girls at night to give them their bottles. Even when he is getting up out of bed, I'm still waking up. I decided yesterday that I've had enough!

The bottles are OUT for nighttime sleeping. I know they should never have had them in the first place, but for them it was a comforting thing in an uncomfortable and unfamiliar time for them. They've been home for five months now and their teeth are popping in like crazy. Adah has six going at one time. I cannot face the dentist and tell him that they have major cavities because we let them have their bottles at bed, and I need my sleep. So the bottles are out.

Our first try was naptime yesterday. Anna had just about stripped herself, she has discovered she can take her own clothes off) and was yelling because she was stuck. I went in and took her outfit off, laid her down, gave her a babydoll and placed her blankets over her. "Go to sleep!" I think I went in twice to quiet the girls down, but they finally caught on that mama wasn't budging!

Naptime didn't last long. Our second nap went better. Before bed last night we sat down with them and gave them their bottles and put them to bed. They protested and I think it took two times on my part and once on Steve's, but they finally relented and fell asleep.

I heard them about 1am and got up with them. I figured since they were in bed at 7pm they were probably hungry so I filled bottles, changed diapers, sat down and rocked, and watched tv. When I found they were losing interest in their bottles I took them back up to bed and put them down. We walked to the fridge before we went to their room so they could see their bottles were staying in the refrigerator.

I put their babydolls snuggled in with each of them, their blankies on top, and they didn't (GASP) wake up until 7am!!! I was estatic!!!!

Their nap today was pleasant and uneventful! I had watched Toddler Trouble! and read a little of Jo Frost's Supernanny book to come up with ideas. The babydoll idea is the top tip I came away with.

I nursed my other eight children so bottles have never really been an issue except for one of them. Jake did take one because he weaned at ten months. He ended up having problems with his front teeth though.

So I think we're on to something! Next step is to get rid of the bottle all together.........then potty training this year! WooHoo! Let the fun begin!

1 comment:

  1. Take One a Day All Day Energy, works great. It is one of Oprah's Best Life Products.

    Take care and god bless you all.

    ReplyDelete