Monday, April 28, 2008

Meeting Our Girls

We were picked up by Kassahun about 2pm. There were two other couples in the van going to meet their children too! I was most surprised by what we traveled in: a NEW Sprinter van. I couldn't believe it! In August we rode around the city in a jeep which meant children HAD to sit on an adult lap. This time everyone just about had their own seat.

We arrived at the boy's compound and waited for Addis & Mulu to arrive from the girl's compound which was down the street and up an alley. The nurse was talking to me about their shot records so I didn't see them come in. Darn it! I looked down and Mulu was in front of me with a HUGE smile. I instantly turned the video camera on to try and catch Addis & Steve meeting. We all hugged and kissed. They were so beautiful!

(I'll have pictures later, Steve has his camera in his car.)

After the other couples met their children we drove across town to the CWAE office to complete our embassy paperwork and pay any owed fees. Steve took the girls into another room while I was going over the paperwork with Sheka. They emptied their backpacks and had fun playing with their Barbies and their cameras.

We rode back to the Sheraton and headed back to our room. The girls were a little scared when the elevator took off, but it soon turned into fun.

They are amazed with things we take for granted; the different ways that toilets flush, the different ways that a faucet turns on, drinking fountains, the pool, straws, elevators & escalators. They giggle with excitement when they experience something for the first time.

We went to dinner at the Italian restaurant at the Sheraton. It was disgusting to me and I couldn't eat. Between the tiredness and my tummy not feeling right, Ethiopian Italian food was not appetizing to me. Steve loved his and the girls ate theirs so it must have just been me.

When it was time to go to bed the girls and I slept in a king bed and Steve slept on the roll-a-way. Addis kicked Mulu out of the spot next to me so she could sleep there. The next night I made sure Mulu got the coveted spot.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the details, and the girls new experiences with modern world. The Sheraton looks really nice, I googled pictures of it and the Sprinter Van as well. Sorry you didn't enjoy your Italian -Ethiopian food, I've been told by alot of people here that it is really good we have an Ethiopian Restaurant in Southfield, MI my Mom and I were going to go there once but never did, we went to a Middle Eastern Restaurant instead, I really love their food. sounds like the girls are really going to fuss over you (nothing wrong with that) Can't wait to see the pictures!
    Take Care, God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun it must be to watch them experience all these new things. I hope that the Lord allows you to retain these memories forever. I am THIS close to buying a ticket to SanDiego just so I can meet your girls!!!!!

    ReplyDelete