Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thoughts

Who would imagine that in just two days we'll travel to east Africa? Who would imagine that we're meeting our new daughters that are already ages six and eight with their own life history? Who would imagine that we're adding children eleven and twelve? Well, my friends, imagine it. Imagine if it were you. Imagine the feelings you'd go through.

We're in the final days of our "old" family. We went through this back in August. We've gone through it twice before that when our oldest boys moved out. In a short time we'll experience our "new" family. New family dynamics. Dynamics where there are five boys and five girls at home. New bedrooms, new roomates. We'll have six children ages nine and under.

If you see my boys, allow them some grace. Their whole world is turning upside down. They've gone from being the youngest in the family to being in the middle. They will have added four sisters in less than nine months. They may act out, it may not affect them outwardly at all. They're learning how to share their mommy and daddy. They're learning how to love and serve even when they don't want to. They're learning how to become more like Christ which isn't easy or comfortable.

My own mind is a mix of thoughts. We know the girls are happy to come to a family, our family. How will they react to us when they see us in person? Will it be comfortable? awkard? How will we communicate? We don't speak Amharic, they don't speak English. How will Anna & Adah react to these new sisters? How will I do Addis' hair so it looks presentable?

I can't think straight. There's too much to do. Donations have been coming in and I've been washing most of the used clothing so I know in my own mind that it is clean and pet-hair free. We need to put plastic bags around the liquids like hand-sanitizers and lotions. We need to do our everyday routine. I need to pack three boys for a week at their cousins' house. The paperwork is done. My shopping is done. Awana is done for the week. Class Day is today. We need to take Sarah shopping so she has food for next week. I have to go back to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. I had a UTI last week and although it's gone, weird things have been happening to me, and I don't want to be in Ethiopia with a UTI!

Pray for us if you think of us. Our family is going to change in some big ways. Forgive us/me if we/I seem scatterbrained or have a hazy look on our/my face/s (the kind I/we get when I've/we've been in a store too long).

Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Yes! I can imagine and put myself in your shoes, it will be quite an experience and a new transition, just make friends with what ever situation arises. I pray for you all. I m wondering if Adah and Anna have already met Addis & Mulu, maybe the were in the same orphanage, I had just recently bought myself a UTI test kit at Walmart for $11.00, But came-up negative, I read you can get UTI from holding your urine too long, that's what I was doing too darn cold to get-up during the night. I wish I could experience Ethiopia I sometimes watch youtube and fantasize about hitting some night-clubs:-) I really like some of the music... seems to have a little Middle Eastern flavor, about the UTI thing, they have some pills to take, there on the shelf, don't need a prescription.
    Take care, have a safe trip, I'll pray for your safety, be looking forward to your Blog when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UTI Relief Tablets, get some don't suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vikki, I am so excited for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be in my prayers... the one thing about families is they change and change. New babies or new in-laws or whatever. Happy changes but still changes... When people will ask how many kids we want (and my husband says, "All of them!") because we don't have an unlimited number of bedrooms, I think to myself that some families are so well "planned" that they are in a sterile bubble or something. I want to say to them, "Live a little!" You're blessed! Just take it one day at a time and remember Jesus is with you.
    Kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vikki~

    I am praying as you prepare to add to your family.

    I KNOW the feelings that change brings. You can feel happy, sad, tired, dazed, disoriented as nothing seems "normal". And then one day (weeks, months down the road) you suddenly realize that you have a NEW normal and everything feels right again :)

    Are you going to journal your trip again this time? I hope so!!!

    Love and Prayers,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete